Sunday, May 8, 2011

many stitches...

In my last two blog entries I mentioned that there would be a prom gown in the making for Mickey. I had also planned that you would catch a glimpse now and then as the gown was constructed, it didn't happen that way for me. Time became an issue, the schedule that Mickey deals with and my full-time office job and other responsibilities just really played havoc with having fittings for the gown. We made it work, thank you Mickey for being willing to do fittings at really odd times! A few pictures follow to show you the gown that Mickey designed and I created with her! We did start with a basic Simplicity Pattern that was extremely difficult to work with...I am glad that both Mickey and I can sew and have the vision of what we wanted, because the pattern did not do it for us!

**I am sure most of you know if you click on the pictures it will enlarge the pictures to show a close-up of the gown and you will see a better view of the *bling*...it makes a difference overall!**

(the gown, deep purple with added *bling*, picture taken at the town gazebo)

(started to rain during pictures we moved to the town museum for more pictures)

(the promanade, each couple had their names announced and they walked the red carpet)

(continued to walk away toward the high school for the evening of dancing and fun)

I am proud that Mickey asked that I would work with her, creating her *first* prom dress. It brought back memories of my years of creating wedding dresses for many brides, and the challenges that I met with that. Would I do another prom dress for Mickey, of course ♥...maybe for the next one I will not be working full time in a busy office...or we would start this year for next year's prom ☺ ??

p.s. ~ As for my comment about the pattern, I can honestly say, I should have gone with my instincts and not tried to follow the directions, I found them very vague and not at all easily understood! My problem was not that dress patterns now cover size 2 - 12 on the same pattern, but they leave out many details that *a beginner* which I am not, would have NEVER probably not been able to complete the gown. A generic dress pattern and Mickey's ideas, put together would have saved me time, valuable time!

5 comments:

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Barb, this is just wonderful! I'm glad you commented on my blog about this. I've been checking to see what was up with the gown and was beginning to worry when I didn't see anything.

I hope they had a wonderful time; they both look so happy! And I'll bet you're just as happy that this sewing is over! It is a beautiful dress, and both you and Mickey should be so proud.

Laurie said...

WOW!!! Gorgeous dress but worn BEAUTIFULLY by Mickey! Thanks for sharing Barb and kudos to you and Mickey!
HLY
Laurie

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Incredible! A true work of love; Mickey is beautiful!!!

Rose said...

It is beautiful!!!! Love the color, too.

It seems to me every time I buy a pattern, if I had not ever sewn I would not be able to complete them. Not that I sew much any more, but sometimes I look and will look at the instructions when in JoAnns....one pattern I had the notches did not even come close to matching and I checked two or three times to make sure I was putting it together right. It was a jacket and it did end up nice, but those notches were 3 or4 inches apart. Just so strange.

Mickey said...

Thank you so much Grandma for agreeing to make my dress! I absolutely love it and it worked perfectly! You're the best!

Love ya, Mickey