Thursday, July 7, 2011

homework...

In just a few short weeks it will be Quilt Odyssey Show time at Hershey, and *we* are excited! Each year Mickey and I look forward to the days spent at the show, taking classes and listening to lectures and trunk shows! Also each year *we* take loads of classes even though *we* always declare "next year will be the year for fewer classes" it doesn't happen that way for us ☺ !! We truly do enjoy listening and learning and just the *we* time together, doing something we both love = quilting!

Classes involve preps and supply organization, fondly referred too by us as "homework", and when we take many classes it requires many preps! Following I show a sample of only part of what we will need ☺ when we arrive at the Quilt Odyssey in Hershey for only one class, we are taking three classes, attending two lectures and helping with the White Glove time in the display room of quilts!

(fabrics for the class ~ quilts with great edges)

(this is my practice piece ready for the "great edges" class)

(this is the practice piece as prepared by Mickey ready for the "great edges" class)

(both practice pieces, you can see how *we* differ in our fabric choices)


If you enlarge the pictures you will be able to see the wonderful "free motion" quilting Mickey did on both! No markings at all, just under the needle on her machine and stitches...I love how she does this! By the way the class with Jane Clark at Quilt Odyssey two years ago is where Mickey mastered the "free motion" ability! We do learn so much every year, well worth the time to attend classes, even though it is exhausting. QUILT ODYSSEY 2011 here we come ☺!

3 comments:

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I'm so excited to read this post! Looking forward to seeing the projects you two work on. I hope I'll be sewing with my granddaughters someday just like you two are now.

What kind of sewing machine does Mickey use? Her free motion work is really nice. I'm like you - I like the straight lines!

Hope your time away with Mickey is really special this year.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Mickey does, indeed, have some wonderful (smooth, even) quilting techniques up her sleeve! You two will have SEW much fun. Can't wait for the post-Odyssey report.

Rose said...

I love both fabric choices...and love Mickey's FMQ! Can't wait to see what you have to show at the end of your classes.