Saturday, April 10, 2010

what cheap can do...

I have been known to stop at the local 'thrift' shop, and check it out, hoping to find something to my liking! Of course the desire is to keep the purchase price low or sometimes the word is "cheap"...this is what *seventy-five cents* did for me!

(tooooooooo shiney and obviously it has been tossed around a bit)

(hubby is able to change the look to "prim" with a bit of paint mixes, as per my description, picture looks more pink then it actually is)

(and now it is proudly on display in my kitchen)

I found an old candle that was partially burned and in a drawer being saved for *if the power ever goes out*, I painted the candle with clear wax from a small votive, sprinkled on instant coffee grounds and cinnamon, sort of dirty & grungy looking! A dollar store doily, that is coffee stained and this is my idea of "what cheap can do"!!

Have a great weekend, enjoy the sights and sounds of Spring!

6 comments:

Catsngrams said...

Wow that is awsome 75 cents? I think you stole that one. lol
Have a great Sunday

Susan said...

Love those thrift store finds! It's amazing what a little spit and polish can do, isn't it?

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Woohoo!!!! I LOVE it and it was only $.75. Great Job!

Mary

Laurie said...

that is way too cool! great job barb and len!
hly
laurie

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Barb, this is absolutely adorable! You and Len make a good team (in more ways that this, I'm sure). I love your creativity.

I'm heading to our thrift store today. Mandy saw a lamp with a pineapple design on Saturday and failed to mention it to me. I'm hoping it'll still be there at noon!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Barb, what a great idea to do to your candle! I never ever would have thought of that - but I have some candles at home I would love to "prim up" a bit. Thanks for such a great idea!

I want to thank you so much for your encouraging words about my visa situation. It really means so much and I appreciate you so much. Thank you for the verse too. I will be holding it close to my heart. You're great, Barb. Thank you.

And P.S. My mom did get that lamp. :) It had a $39.95 price tag on it and mom got it for $2!