Wednesday, December 15, 2010

dear santa...

Many school districts have a Christmas tradition very similar or exactly like the school that I work in. Early November names of families that may be needing some help with Christmas can be submitted to the school counselors, and those needs are confirmed thru various means. The school employees (teachers, secretaries, custodians, aides, etc) have the opportunity to help with Christmas for the families that have the needs. Each year Mickey and I ask if we may help a child have a bit of joy for Christmas. We are given only a sheet of paper with a number (no names) that will list sizes for clothing, a favorite game or two, a desired toy or even books, but it is always confirmed that the needs and desires are genuine.

This year was no exception, we shopped (with the help of Mickey's mom), we wrapped and we delivered to the counselor for a child that we will not know by name BUT we have the good feeling in our hearts of sharing Christmas in the way that Christmas can be shared!

Like many of you the "busyness" of the season has caught up with me, however I feel the need to check in with my blogging friends and family, we are well, enjoying the concerts, struggling with "getting the perfect gifts", and most of all wanting to keep the focus on the "Reason for the Season"!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

That is such an amazing tradition Barb! So happy you can make a child's Christmas a happy one!
HLY
Laurie

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Barb, you are such a blessing. I remember last year you posted about this project. You are touching people for Christ in a special way, and that's another reason why I enjoy you so much.

Blessings to you!

Catsngrams said...

What a wonderful idea I think I will see if I can start something like that here in our community. I enjoy your blog so much.