Thursday, January 3, 2008
the charm of being old...
As I snapped this picture I felt a pang of admiration for the items in this picture that have endured WHAT?? *OLD* quilt blocks ~ each one is *handpieced* and I am sure there WAS a plan when they were made! What was the plan, where are the *other* blocks that would have been needed to complete a quilt? Did these blocks not make the selection because of a flaw that only the quilter could see?
The jar of *OLD* buttons ~ I love *OLD* buttons...and have been happy to share my buttons with *sweet granddaughter* for her designs in her *cottage industry* items!! The question with the many buttons that I have would be....where are the partners to these buttons, surely the buttons were not alone when they began their journey attached to clothing?
Do you see the thimbles that have tumbled into the background? Actually they are *OLD* thimbles, that my boss included in a Christmas gift a few years ago. That year his gift was an antique sewing box made of wood with some really neat *OLD* objects included! In a future blog post I will include a picture of that gift, actually a pretty neat gift idea for a person that enjoys sewing items as I do! Especially the charming *OLD* sewing items!!
The *OLD* pincushion is next to my sewing machine I LOVE IT...I use it carefully! There is a bit of history with the pincushion..it at one time was used by my mother-in-law, sitting next to her sewing machine!! When I became the owner of the pincushion it actually had a few pins and a needle with thread sticking into it!! The pincushion was part of the *estate sale* of my *father-in-law* years after my mother-in-law was no longer with us! My mother-in-law was also a sewer/quilter, her pincushion would have spent a lot time with her.
I miss my mother-in-law and realize now the value of her wisdom, and wish I had been more available and willing to learn from her!! HUG YOUR FAMILY ~ they are SPECIAL and truly your gift from God!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Barb,
What a neat picture! And sometimes that boss of yours comes up with neat ideas!! I look forward to those pics!
HLY
Laurie
Wow, Barb, we must be related not too far back. I have a tin box of old buttons, and some new that have been thrown in. But I have the ones my mom collected and the ones from my husband's grandma! You have just brought up a memory that I want to put in my blog....I will either do it tonight or tomorrow. Hope I can get a picture to turn out the way I want.
Post a Comment