This describes what I have observed over the years as I watch my *sweet grandaughter* sew and quilt...
A. Starting at 5 years old sitting on my lap guiding the fabric thru the machine (she could not reach the pedal to make the machine run, so the choice was 'grandma' push the pedal because *sweet grandaughter* wanted to sew!
B. Not quite six years old made a simple patchwork pillow for her parents for their anniversary...loaded with a *gazillion* buttons because it was so much fun to add buttons!
C. Eight years old a very special friend and classmate is diagnosed with the second round of Luekemia, and a *quilt* is to be made...a special helper (another quilter) made a plea on a MB for quilt blocks to be sent to *sweet grandaughter* to create the quilt, the blocks poured in...SO MANY BLOCKS that a second quilt could be made for the little sister of the child that was ill! The quilts were made with love and intense labor...but the quilts were wonderful and loved! (Sadly the friend has died as a result of complications with the illness, but the quilt is gently folded at the bottom of her bed! You are missed sweet friend!
D. Nine years old it is time to attend a national quilt show...and to meet some MB quilter friends...one of which became "coach" by long distance and shares the love of *BRIGHT FABRICS* with *sweet grandaughter*...and has won the love and admiration of this *sweet grandaughter*....without naming names....H/LY you are special!
E. Eleven years old *sweet grandaughter* has by this time won 3 *Best of Show* ribbons at the County Fair on 3 different quilts, 3 years in a row...~PRIDE BEYOUND MEASURE from this Grnadma!
F. Twelve years old and *sweet grandaughter* has made 3 commissioned baby quilts for other proud grandmas that love the workmanship of this young quilter!
G. Thirteen years old and now finding it very tough to squeeze the sewing/quilting into her busy schedule with school activities and 3 dance classes a week, plus weekly piano lessons and remain on the honor roll at school...but today I watched her sew for 3 hours and it was FANTASTIC...she is wanting to learn and is not afraid to try new things! Today she took time to search thru the fabric stash that *we* share to select fabrics to 'sew' a skirt for school....'oh no' an earlier post on my *blog* will tell you that is a habit I fell into during my school years... (very coincidental don't you think?)
H. Where does it go from here(?) my prayers and hopes are that it will continue to get better and better, and the desire to sew for *sweet grandaughter* will continue for her and for many generations in our family... PRIDE IS SOMETHING THAT IS BEYOUND DESCRIPTION...LOVE NEEDS NO EXPLANATION ~ *sweet grandaughter ~ I love you and I am very proud to be your grandma!
I do hope I didn't bore you, but the progression in sewing/quilting by *sweet grandaughter* is so very obvious and she is wanting to learn everything there is to learn but yet there is SOOOOOOOO MUCH to learn...I don't know if I am up to the task! As my vision becomes an issue, I want to teach her all that I can while I can!
1 comment:
Don't forget that "sweet granddaughter" has an amazing grandmother who has taught her a TON!!! I just love both of you to death!!!
HLY
Laurie
Post a Comment