Saturday, December 1, 2007

quilts of old...

I very much enjoy going to estate auctions, especially if I see that there will be quilts sold! The treasures of old in *good* condition are sometimes very tough to find, and most of all if you find them...they can become very expensive! When I attend an auction and I decide there is a *quilt* I will bid on, I MUST set a limit to my bid...it is so easy to be pulled into bidding beyond the planned amount!
This quilt is a *crazy patch* quilt, made with the most beautiful velvets and carefully hand stitched with the typical *crazy patch* stitching between each color of velvet! This I believe would be typical of a *VICTORIAN* crazy patch, I am still doing my research on this info! The price was right and I won the bid a few years ago on this beauty!!
And this is yet another *antique* quilt that I was fortunate enough to win the bid on a few years ago! The auctioneer told us this quilt is actually called a *hap* but often referred to as a quilt! A *hap* is extremely heavy, and is a crazy patchwork on both sides, with very heavy batting in between and then tied a few places.....this feels like it weighs a *ton* and would have been used for covering laps while riding a *sleigh*, *buggy* or *open wagon* in the winter!! On the picture I have flipped up one corner so that you can see both sides are patchwork and in excellent condition!! I was very excited to hear the auctioneer say *sold* and point to me to be able to purchase both of these quilts at two different auctions!
At some point it is my plan (when I hit the retirement home) that my son and his family and my daughter and her family will each be the owners of these treasures, and they will always remember that *mom* enjoyed estate sales and winning the bid on the "quilts of old"!!
p.s. I am not sure what happened to my original of this post, but in making a correction, I may have sent it into cyber space...but I am hopeful that this entry will stay this time!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Barb,
These are 2 gorgeous quilts! How fortunate for you to have won them! Your family will treasure them!
HLY
Laurie
ps...i posted about an hour ago and it's not here...hmmm

Rose said...

I would be proud to call either one my own! I wish I could examine them in person....

Nana's Quilts said...

Those are just terrific. And how special that your kids will be 'in line' for them.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I have posted instructions on making placemats - so check it out and let me know if you have questions.
Marne