Thursday, February 28, 2008
scraps and snips...
If you are a quilter you surely recognize this picture, and understand what it represents! This is the result of the cutting - sewing - quilting projects from the past few months.
No, normally these boxes do not sit side-by-side as you see them on this picture. One box is normally on the cutting table, and one box on the table that is the triming/squaring up area! Since *sweet granddaughter* and I sew together every chance we can, we do need two areas for working together, it is more fun to work together and chatting, and not need to wait for a spot to cut or sew! Sort of having our very own *mini-class*...music playing, machines humming, and chatting as we make boxes of these trim scraps :>)! Well actually the boxes of scraps are because we are making quilt blocks, not just cutting trim scraps!
WHAT TO DO WITH THESE TRIM SCRAPS? Well at my house these scraps are shared with the birds in the spring for building their nests! Some of the scraps are just a bit large for the birds to handle so my *youngest* grandson with scissors in hand, snips the scraps into smaller pieces. When the snow melts away, and the first sighting of green pokes thru the ground, the scraps are scattered on what will soon be the green grass of spring, and on the top of the shrubs that will also provide areas for the birds to build their nests! It is fun to watch the birds pluck up the bits of color and even more fun to see the colors as part of the *bird nests* high in the trees!
TRY IT you will LIKE IT TOO!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
what a great idea! the birds love you and dgd! love the colors!
hly
laurie
I usually just dump those scraps into the trash...I think I will save a few for the birds now that you mention it. I also have a collie/shepherd mix that shares her sheddings with the birds. Actually she shares it with the whole neighborhood. I always take a bag and hang it on my iron when I brush her but some always manages to blow away.
What a cool idea. I've never thought of sharing with the birds before. I'll have to give it a try this spring.
Post a Comment