Wednesday, March 11, 2009

memories...

I will presume to say that most of us have been in the painful place of needing to deal with family estates! Some years ago my hubby and his sibblings spent the painful hours and days sorting thru the belongings of their parents (my in-laws). Adding to the stress of the situation was the knowledge that one of the group felt that hubby had not earned the right to claim or ask for any of the family items and this was made known to many. But hubby still faithfully spent the time to help with the sorting and remained silent with the decision making, afterall his thoughts were not welcomed anyway!

One item in particular was discovered tucked away in the upstairs of the garage, it was a sled to pull firewood from the *woodland* for the fireplace of the ancestors. The last that hubby knew it had been his Grandpa that had the sled. Hubby said if there was just one item he could claim from the family items it would be the sled. My goal was to purchase at the estate sale *the sled* for my hubby, he asks for so little! The price of the bid went much higher then I ever expected, but I was determined...and yes a sibbling family member of my hubby did bid against me, but I WAS DETERMINED!! Here you see the sled!

(because it is designed to haul wood from the woodland it has an open top, a long handle for pulling, and sled runners)

(hubby added a slatted wood top, finished beautifully and it is now our coffee table)

(another view of the coffee table, it is very special in many ways, for hubby because of its history, for me because hubby has again been very creative with wood from the house that we lost)


It is *our* desire that our adult children never need to experience or feel the pain of the sibbling difficulties as experienced by hubby. We have started sharing items with our adult children, and hopefully our *estate will* allows our children and grandchildren to know ~ what is ours is theirs!

5 comments:

Laurie said...

OH Barb...after my SIL's dad's funeral...this si so timely. You were SO right to purchase this for your dh! GOOD JOB!!!
HLY
Laurie

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

How sad that family can treat family in a poor way. I hope things are better now. The sled is wonderful. You are a good wife!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This type of bitterness and betrayal happen much more than we would want to believe in families. You have a treasure, enjoy and cherish it! You are doing the right thing in making your wishes and desires known to your children now, while you can. Hugs!

Unknown said...

Ouch. I don't understand that attitude. I really don't. I saw it with my aunts after my grandparents' deaths. Momma was terrified that the same thing would happen to me and my sister, and I think we promised each other before we even promised her, that there will be no fighting.

In other words, I'm sorry you have to deal with that kind of nonsense, but what a beautiful coffee table you have.

Hugs,
Melinda

Rose said...

What a wonderful way to use the sled till it will be seen every day...too bad that family treated your husband that way. We only have two children and I hope that by the time that time comes that I have given them most things...