Monday, February 16, 2009

quiet thoughts...

Today was a day of crazy busyness ~~ the school office did not offer much chance to actually achieve what I needed to complete. Many telephone calls, many sick students needing to be picked up by parents, that didn't wish to take time to sign the proper line on the paper to claim their children, all of which meant that the office staff became the "bad guys" in the picture :<( ! I needed to do my *books* and write checks, none of which happened because of the constant interruptions. Sick kids and sick teachers was the norm for the day, and finding subs for those sick teachers unfortunately is also in my job description....OK enough whinning ~~ tonight I move on and find time for "quiet thoughts" ☺ !

In seeking the quiet time, and the *do not bother me* space, I retreated to my sewing...hand sewing that is! Do you remember these unfinished blocks belonging to my daughter-in-law (blog post 8/28/08)? Well tonight I finished the last block...well finished to this point ☺!! Needle to fabric, quietly sliding the stitches under the rolled edge of the applique did help to calm my whirling thoughts.

There are 13 of these blocks, they are pretty and have the colors of the old fashion Dresden Plate quilts, my question for any of you that wish to respond including my DIL Carol ~ now what....13 blocks (odd number) and what would you do too continue the look of the early Dresden Plates? For the most part they are 12" blocks, some larger and some slightly smaller...you know how it is with blocks exchanges! What do you think?

Have a great evening, I am still looking for a quiet place ☺.

3 comments:

Rose said...

Not sure what I would do with them, but they are pretty. I will try to find my thinking cap and if I come up with anything I will come back and give you my input.

Laurie said...

Barb,
Gorgeous blocks...i'd use 12 on the front and one on the back, or make one into a pillow!
HLY
Laurie

Linda said...

ABsolutely beautiful! There can never be an odd number of quilt blocks - they all have use! :) You can make a pillow like Laurie suggested, you can let the block become a part of the backing or combine it all together and make a Quillow using the block as a pillow and part of the quilt :D You can make a hot plate, put it into a picture frame, add some borders and make a doll quilt, make a rice filled heating pack, incorporate it into another quilt... there are a ton of things! :)
Good luck!