I have always loved reading ~ I am actually a person that loves reading about history, Abraham Lincoln and Civil War facts are right at the top of my interest, most times non-fiction are the books I look for. I do truly enjoy reading, and have always tried my best to find some reading time in my busyness! Reading in the car as I would ride along on a trip was never a problem (fortunately getting motion sick is not an issue for me ~ most times)!
A few years ago a vision problem became obvious and I was diagnoised with Macular Degeneration and slowly but surely the reading has become difficult, computer monitors need to be large, lighting just right, etc! My son and his family provided me with a page magnifier to help with my reading...that now has become not so good for reading the books that I love, but works great for looking at quilt patterns for detail!
The next best thing to reading it myself, is having the books on CDs...and I am convincing myself that I can learn to allow for a reader on a CD! I have a series that I am *listening* to, it is by Lauraine Snelling and I think I will enjoy it, but find myself growing impatient with the reader on the CD! I am learning self-discipline with my listening skills ;>) but it is not going so well! Maybe by CD #2 (the next chapter) I will have the listening skills in place and become captivated with the stories ~ one can hope!
4 comments:
have you looked into the Kindle on Amazon? You can adjust the size of the text and they look great...a bit pricey though!
hly
laurie
Barb, I have problems listening to books on CDs as well. I find I have trouble following the story line if I try to do anything while I'm listening. I am so sorry to hear you have this disease.
I love books on tape/cd. Sometimes it has to do with the 'reader'--some I just cannot stand to listen to even if I like the book...some I like to just hear the sound of their voice and can follow about anything they read (Peter Francis James is one of those), and others I have to sort of get used to, and then only their voice fits certain books.
I think some narrators are better than others just like some books are better than others. I do think though that after a bit you get more accustomed to a particular voice. Keep with it!
Post a Comment